Tuesday, September 30, 2008

On Telekinesis and Self-Help ?!


So my son wanted to go to Barnes & Noble to get a book on telekinesis - of course I'm thinking huh? But recalling my own youth and the belief I could move objects with my mind; vis-à-vis the old television show "My Favorite Martian." I decided why not.

I guess this is the teenager's version of Santa Claus, or the Tooth Fairy. After a couple of weeks of reading - he comes back and asks me if I believe in it, in telekinesis. As I was sitting their thinking, I saw a glass of water way over in the kitchen. I say to him "You see that glass of water" - I could tell he was getting excited now. I boldly stated, "I can make it come to me without leaving the couch". So, I called my other son, and asked him to get me the glass. I turned to the older one and said, see I had the glass come to me without getting up, just using my mind and my mouth.

After relentless objections and protest such as I wasn't allow to "open my mouth", the glass had to "float in the air", I could only "use my mind." I relented - kids make irresistible debaters.

Life lesson learned: Whether you believe it or not; self-help is kind of a telekinesis: using your mind and only your mind to bring changes to life, whether you directly participate in them or get others to help you.

No comments: