Monday, September 29, 2008

On Financial Planning...

Financial Planner

I - as in my wife and I - recently had a visit from a financial planner. You know, it's one of those things you should have done - married or not - about 20 years ago kinda like exercising. We sat down, discussed goals - fortunately I had been thinking about them quite a bit lately, which is why I wanted a planner. We talked about how to finance those goals, he worked some magic and 'voila!'. Funny, I don't have more money than when I started, but I feel like I do. I guess that's the main point.

There are three things I learned from the experience:
  • He doesn't print money - he can only tell you how to allocate the money you have.
  • He doesn't finance goals - he can only recommend the one's you can afford now.
  • If you want to achieve your financial goals - you're going to have to make the wealth.

Actually in retrospect it was a good meeting, and "whack on the side of the head". I would highly recommend it.

Life lessoned learned: "You can't print money; you can only allocate what you have. If you want more - earn it" (same could apply to most any goal)

If anyone is in the Southern California area - let me know, I'll give you his name. Sadly, I don't get any kick-backs, but I did promise him referrals every chance I get.

No comments: